In an effort to spend more time in the kitchen and less in the drive-thru, I busted out the Crock Pot tonight to try and make chicken breasts & brown rice taste good.
Neither are high on my wanna-eat list unless they’re fried, but I’ve GOT to start exercising some control over my diet. Plus my nephew/roommate is back from Christmas break and I want to try and cook for him occasionally.
Maybe it’s because it was beyond the “best by” date but I’ve had no luck preparing brown rice when I enjoyed it, but I won’t give up. It wasn’t terrible with the apple’y/cranberry’y sauce on it.
It’s from a slow cooker cookbook I picked up along the way. If you try it let me know what you think!
- 2 medium apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2lbs total)
- 1 16-ounce can whole cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 6-ounce pkgs long grain & wild rice mix (I just used brown from a box)
In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker combine apples & onion. Add chicken pieces. In a medium bowl combine cranberry sauce, lemonade concentrate, tapioca, honey & salt. Pour over mixture in cooker.
Cover & cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Cook the rice according to the package directions. Serve chicken & apple mixture over hot cooked rice.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 565 calories, 2 g total fat(1 g sat. fat), 88 mg chol, 993 mg sodium, 96 g carbo, 4 g fiber, 40 g pro